Well I’m not sure what’s happened, but we have been able to safely cross the road for the last two days. I am likely screwing us for the rest of the week as I type this. Last week myself and a few other concerned parents received the following email:
To everyone concerned
There has been a number of concerns brought forward to administration recently by several individuals regarding the situation during school arrival and dismissal times at the above-noted intersection. (The email was titled IC Roy & Oakwood Intersection) The Town of Lakeshore remains committed to ensuring the safety of all pedestrians throughout the municipality, especially for children walking to school.(Do they really? Because the previous email basically said “We can’t do anything and it’s not our problem, have a nice day.) There are a few points of clarification to be made:
- The OPP have been contacted by the Town regarding these concerns and will be increasing their patrols in this area to monitor any HTA infractions So far this hasn’t happened. When there was a police car present last week, his back is to where the problem is. Yes, the police car presence slows down vehicles speeding on Oakwood. However, the problem is at the intersection where cars and busses are turning during the walk signal.
- The Community Policing Officer for the OPP has been, or will be, visiting the schools to educate staff and students on the proper steps when crossing at a controlled intersection (either traffic signals or Crossing Guard) While it’s good that they will remind children how to safely cross, this to me seems pointless. It’s not the children who are the problem. It’s THE DRIVERS!!! I watched children having to wait during a walk signal for cars to finish going through the intersection, thus not giving the children enough time to safely cross the street before the signal changed.
- A School Patrol Program is being investigated with the School Boards is implement a program whereby senior students will assist with the crossing of the younger students at the signalized intersection. Investigated, hmmm….this feels like something that’s going to be forgotten about and pushed off agenda’s at meetings. You literally have parents writing you daily, weekly telling you that there is an urgent need for a crossing guard. This does NOT need investigating!! Not to mention all ages of children need protecting from the drivers who are failing to pay any attention to the signals at the intersection of Oakwood and I.C. Roy.
- A report is going to our Council next week proposing some changes at the Mancini/IC Roy intersection to provide a safer crossing location for the children. Details can be found online under the Consent Agenda for the September 27th Council Meeting. This intersection is less ideal for children to safely cross at due to the kiss n’ ride traffic exiting the school.
- Crossing Guard requests must be vetted through a Crossing Guard Warrant Analysis. This is the process we have had in place for some time now. A recommendation would then go to our Council and funds would need to be set aside for the addition of a new crossing guard. What’s the time frame on this process? Again, you have many parents telling you that a crossing guard is needed. What are you waiting for?
Thank you, This to me translates into, *#^& you have a nice day